Thursday, December 28, 2006

Chow Anecdote

I wouldn't even bother posting this, except that it involves cheese. All which involves cheese is worth speaking of.

It came to me in a dream: I was making some broccoli cheese soup, and added too much milk by mistake. Milk is of course a good thing, but too much of it screws up the viscosity of the soup; I like it good 'n thick. So, unconscious problem solving prompted my imagined self to add some flour. That thickens stuff up, right? Not bad for dream-logic.

So the next time I made broccoli cheese soup in waking life, sure enough I added more milk than I'd intended. Applying the well-worn scientific principle, "oh-what-the-hell", I mixed in one of those little fancy measuring spoon's worth of flour.

Worked like a dream.

2 comments:

Chris said...

mmmMMM Cheese. Can you believe people in this world eat soup and chili without cheese. For Shame! Cheese comments always remind me of the coronary burger we made back in River Falls. I think I remember the recipe for that. 2 part burger to 15 part cheese :)

Penduin said...

Ahh yes, the coronary burger. I remember it well: The grease between those two patties was scaldingly hot, but the meat near that layer was rather pink, not nearly enough char. And the cheese, the individually plastic-wrapped, horrible, wonderful fake cheese...

...Did I finish that thing? I know I tried...